Newburyport Turf Company
Browse Our Services
Lawn Care Programs
Newburyport Turf Company takes a reduced pesticide approach at everything we do. We offer a couple different ways to care for your property. Our standard program consists of 6 lawn treatments.
- Early Spring- Fertilizer with Crabgrass preventative
- Late Spring- A slow release fertilizer, spot treat for weeds and inspect for problems.
- Summer- Slow release fertilizer w/ insect control, spot treat for weeds/ crabgrass and inspect for problems.
- Late Summer- Fertilizer and spot treat for weeds/ crabgrass and monitor for problems
- Fall- Apply a slow release fertilizer to winterize the lawn and prepare for a early spring green up.
Our popular Organic programs can be tailored to exactly what your looking for. Over the years we have come to find customers want to take as much of a organic approach as possible. By monitoring and communicating with our customers we can address and overcome any concerns or problems with the lawn. For example, if the weeds get to a point where your not happy we can schedule a one time application to reduce and resolve that problem. If there is a active insect problem, we can work together to resolve that and takes the correct steps so that problem does occur again the following year. Our organic program consists of 5 slow release fertilizer applications and lime. Aeration and Over Seeding is highly encouraged with organic programs. Building up the turf density naturally helps to keep weeds away.
Request More Information
Lawn Care Programs
Developing a tick management plan
Tick populations are directly related to how much habitat there is for the ticks and their hosts (mice, chipmunks, birds, deer, etc.). The more habitats there are, the more ticks there will be, and the more exposure we have to them. Fortunately we know quite a bit about ticks and their habitats. Take for instance that most ticks in lawns are found within the first nine feet of the lawn’s perimeter, and more frequently near stonewalls, woods, beds and borders. We also know ticks favor humid and shady conditions like those found under trees, shrubs, ground covers, or leaf litter. Here are just a few things that can be done to minimize tick exposure in the landscape:
- Prune trees and shrubs for better airflow and sun exposure
- Mow lawns according to grass type and use
- Move swing sets away from the woods and lawn perimeter
- Mulch play areas with playground mulch
- Create a transition area from woods to lawn with a four foot wide wood chip or mulch border (but no plantings)
- Remove fallen leaves from the lawn, lawn perimeter, walkways, near basements or other stone structures and recycle them
- Repair stonewalls, foundations and walkways
- Install deer fencing (most effective) or other deterrents
- Grow deer resistant plants (success with “deer resistant” plants is variable due to deer populations and food availability in the area—if a deer is hungry it will eat just about anything).
The intent here is to keep ticks and their hosts out of the areas that are most frequently used—your outdoor living spaces Products applied, organic or otherwise, are used to repel (deter ticks from the treated area) or kill them. At present, there are not many organic options available and they generally don’t last long in the environment. This means more applications, and according to some research these additional applications have proven to be ineffective against later stage ticks (adults).
Newburyport Turf Company has developed a successful management plan. In the spring a granular application is applied to the wooded edges of your property and the lawns edge. This application focuses on the leaf liter and fallen debris. The 2nd and 3rd applications are done in the summer and early fall. Depending on the weather and tick activity both of those applications will be a liquid application focusing on the foliage of the property as well as the leaf liter. Our 3 visit program helps to protect your property and allow you a safe and enjoyable summer outside on your property.
Newburyport Turf Company 978-792-5597
Poison Ivy Control
One of the hazards of working or playing in the outdoors is contact with poison ivy and having to endure the discomfort of the allergic reaction associated with the plant. Therefore, it is important to recognize poison ivy so that such contact may be avoided, or appropriate measures be taken to eliminate the plant from the home landscape.
How is Newburyport Turf Company Controlling Poison Ivy
Newburyport Turf Company has developed a 3 visit program throughout the growing season to knock back the aggressively spreading vine. By applying the correct herbicide we will over time eliminate any concerns about catching poison ivy on your property. Each property is priced based on the amount of poison ivy and its location.
Typically, an herbicide is applied to actively growing poison ivy, beginning in early summer after the leaves have fully expanded. Thorough coverage of the plant foliage is essential. Where poison ivy is growing among ornamental plants, it is advisable to apply the herbicide to poison ivy leaves using a wick applicator so that the chemical is not inadvertently applied to surrounding plants.
Poison ivy may not be controlled with just one herbicide application. Repeat applications may be necessary.
Perimeter Pest Control
Foundation pest control services from Newburyport Turf Company are aimed at ridding the perimeter of your house of all sorts of bugs, including ants, crickets, spiders and various other pests. Our pest removal services reduce bugs from your home’s exterior and foundation. Our Perimeter Pest Control Services Program will build a protection barrier with treatment of your home’s foundation and edges. There is no need for treatment inside your home. You do not even have to be there when we perform our pest service.
We recommend a 4 visit program to keep the bugs away from spring to late fall.
Aeration and Over Seeding
Aeration and Over seeding. Why is it important?
- Imperative for a thick, healthy, weed-free lawn! Suggested frequency is two times per year in the spring and in the fall.
- Core plug aeration pokes a hole in the lawn approximately 1/2' wide. The length of the plug will depend on several factors including moisture content, length of grass at time of service, and soil compaction. Average plug length ranges from 1''-4''.
- Allows water to access the root system of the grass more efficiently, allowing vital nutrients and water to seep into the soil. This will help the lawn establish a healthier root system. This is extremely vital to maintaining a healthy lawn.
- Helps decompose thatch. Thatch is that dead grass that chokes out the healthy grass. Usually from cutting the grass too short or not cutting frequently enough.
- Reduces soil compaction.
- Creates thousands of "germination chambers" for new grass to grow out of.
- Allows fertilizer to work more efficiently.
- Over seeding
- Grass seed is applied by a spreader
- The seed falls into the holes created by the aeration process and grows out of each hole. Grass will also grow on bare spots of the lawn.
- Fills in spots of the lawn that have been damaged by pets and/or insects.
- The grass will grow thicker, making it harder for weeds to grow.
- Sun and/or shade mix available. We will make a decision depending on how much shade your lawn receives.
- Tree and Shrub Care
- Tree and shrub care Don't let your perfect lawn down. Ensure your landscape looks great, is healthy and well maintained.
- Professional care of trees and shrubs ensures healthy growth, protection and beautiful results. Our expert team knows which treatments to apply, and when. Throughout the year we will monitor how plants are responding, making adjustments to meet the exact conditions of your landscape.
- Your trees and shrubs are a valuable part of your landscape
Tree and Shrub Care
Tree and shrub care Don't let your perfect lawn down. Ensure your landscape looks great, is healthy and well maintained.
Professional care of trees and shrubs ensures healthy growth, protection and beautiful results. Our expert team knows which treatments to apply, and when. Throughout the year we will monitor how plants are responding, making adjustments to meet the exact conditions of your landscape.
Your trees and shrubs are a valuable part of your landscape and should not be overlooked.
Deer Prevention Services
We have created programs to help protect your landscape investment. By spraying plant material two times over the winter months we have been able to keep the deer from eating your landscape material. The product we use is environmentally safe and kid and pet friendly.
Other ways to protect your landscape from animals and weather in the winter months is to have them wrapped up. This is just another service we offer.
NOW OFFERING MOSQUITO REDUCTION PROGRAMS FOR YOUR PROPERTY.
Organic or not Organic it really does not matter when controlling these pests. We can develop a plan for your property to make being outside a much more enjoyable time. Let us help you make being outside in your yard a much better time.
We appreciate your business. Thank you for being a loyal customer.